Monday, December 17, 2007

"Christmas in Kernville"


(Josh posted the following on his wikipedia page)

And in another world: last week I was in my tiny adopted California hometown, and it was time for Christmas in Kernville. In the pouring rain (it turned to snow the following night), the local vocal ensemble had us all singing carols. When it came to "Silent Night", one of the women jokingly suggested we do it in German. I foolishly piped up in agreement, and Cheryl (the ringleader) exclaimed, "OK, we'll do three verses in English and then Josh will sing one in German." So all of a sudden, here I am with a bunch of mostly pretty serious Christians, with a live-action creche scene being enacted next to us, singing Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht solo. Luckily for me (and the listeners) Cheryl had picked a good key. Apparently it went well; several of the ladies got all weepy. My wife said to our neighbor, "Nothing demonstrates Christmas in Kernville better than a Jew singing Silent Night in German." First time I'd soloed that song since before my voice changed in 1966... --jpgordon ∇∆∇∆ 22:35, 24 December 2007

Of course, there's much more to Christmas in K'ville,
like the annual White Elephant Party (aka wrap-your-crap)

where the gang gets together and draws lots for the best of the worst. Hilarity ALWAYS ensues...
White Elephant Party
(click the image then click slideshow!)

No comments: